Dixon School Building History
In 1918, under Principal Charles W. Disbrow, a twenty thousand dollar bond issue was voted, and construction of a modern brick building was started which is the K-8 school building used today (with some additions). The new building opened wide its doors in October of 1919. Mr. Ernest Thelin was the first principal in the new building.
At that time, Dixon school served grades 1-12. In fact, in 1920 the high school received a fully accredited rating by the State department. This meant that graduates were admitted to universities and colleges without entrance examinations.
The building which was completed in 1919, although considered the last word in modern schools at the time, contained a gymnasium about half the standard size. The gymnasium was remodeled into classroom space. Today, the school's computer lab is located in this space.
In 1938, partially by bond issue and partly by government grant under the W.P.A., $28,000 was raised to build a gymnasium. Today, this building also houses the kitchen and cafeteria for the hotlunch program. The gymnasium which is equipped with a stage is used for the special school occasions such as the Christmas Program and Spring Concert. The gym is still used for the school's sports programs and adult basketball tournaments. It is one of the oldest gyms still in use.